Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Decorative Label Punch Layering Tutorial

Welcome to my first tutorial! Earlier this week I posted a card that I made using the decorative label punch. The blog that I found the card on didn't mention how they created the layered look so I had to search to find out how to do it. This happens alot in the stamping world. I know that I often post things with no explanation to how I've done something and I just assume that everyone knows how to do what I'm doing :)

So, with that said, I am actually going to show you how I layered the decorative label punch! Most of my audience are my SU friends who are WAY better than me and know how to do all this stuff BUT maybe I'll be able to teach my mom something :) Hi Mom! Also, I don't get a lot of comments, which is fine, I'm a definite lurker on blog sites but if anyone ever has any questions about how I did something please feel free to comment. I won't bite, I promise :)

Okay, so enough chit chat, on with the show.

To start with, you will need to punch three (3) decorative labels. For simplicity sake, I didn't use a stamped image but there are several different ones you can use. If you are using a stamped image, stamp your image first, then punch it out. One punch will be your top layer and the other two will be used as the bottom layer.

Next, using your paper snips, cut your bottom layer punches in half, one vertically and one horizontally.

Each punch half will need to be trimmed to create the right shape for layering. The punch that is cut on the short side will need to be trimmed to create an upside down heart. I put my paper snips in between the outermost bump on each side and cut up diagonally to the middle on the opposite end. The punch that is cut in half lengthwise will just need the pointy ends trimmed off on both the top and bottom.

Discard the trimmings and you should end up with the following pieces.

Now you will begin the layering process. I used two way glue on the back of my Blushing Bride card stock. Start your layering with the punch that was cut in half lengthwise and glue the pieces together.

Glue down the second lengthwise cut punch opposite of your first glued piece.

Finally, glue down the punches that were cut on the short side and you'll have your finished layered punch.

I want to give a special thanks to Debbie Henderson, fellow Stampin' UP! demonstrator, for teaching me how to layer this punch and I hope everyone enjoyed my first tutorial :-)

4 comments:

  1. Excellent job. You know I am always lurking.

    Rae Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your gorgeous tutorial and will link it, whenever i am using it! :-)
    thank you for your effort, to make things so clever for us crafting ladies!

    i have just bought this gorgeous punch and tomorrow it will show up in my post!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Great post. I was wondering where you got that particular shape cut-out from? My friend wants to buy a cutter in almost exactly that shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, this shape is made by using the decorative label punch by Stampin' UP! http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=120907 It's one of my favorites!

      Sorry it took me a while to get back to you and thanks for comment :)

      Delete